Friday, May 20, 2011

Homemade Maple Syrup

I've always wanted to try to make syrup.  I hope this recipe from melskitchencafe.com tastes yummy.  Then we never have to worry about if we have enough syrup for dinner.....oh oops, uhh.....I mean.... breakfast.  Okay, who are we kidding, we hardily ever have breakfast for breakfast.  Its always a quick and easy dinner for us.  I don't think my daughter even knows most people eat pancakes and waffles for breakfast.  oh well.  I think I will try this in small batch first.  I don't we would use that much in 2 months either.

*Makes about 10 cups (2 1/2 quarts) of syrup

8 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 cups water
2 teaspoons pure maple extract
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In a large 5-6 quart pot, combine the sugars, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low so the mixture gently simmers. Cover the pot and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 20 minutes before stirring in the maple and vanilla extracts. Let the syrup cool in the pot for another 40 minutes, or so, stirring occasionally, before filling jars/containers. Once the containers are filled, let them cool to room temperature uncovered.

Store covered in jars or other containers in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Gently reheat before serving, if desired.

*Notes from Mel: 

I like to use pure maple extract because the additives are minimal (I think it has caramel coloring in it and that's it) but if you can't find it, you can use the artificial Mapleine extract from the store with similar results.

I’ve had the same issue with crystallization now and again but for me, it only happens when there is just a bit of syrup left in the jar. When I make large batches of this syrup, I let the syrup cool in the pot for about an hour before pouring into mason jars. Then, I leave the mason jars uncovered until the syrup has cooled completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator. I’ve never had an issue with the syrup crystallizing that way. The only times I’ve gotten the sugary crystals is when there is only an inch of syrup in the quart sized mason jar and then sometimes I get sugary layer. Also, I make an effort to pour the syrup that I want warmed up into a separate liquid measure. And if there are leftovers of that warmed syrup, I don’t readd it to the syrup in the mason jar until it is completely cooled. I noticed one time when I warmed up all the syrup in the jar at once that when I refrigerated it again, it formed a crusty, sugary shell. Hope that helps a little bit!

REVIEW:  I thought this good but not wow.  I think it was missing a little flavoring or something.  However, I do like the buttery flavor of Mrs. Butterworth.  But I will stick with this recipe instead of buying the store kind.  Also, I only made a quarter of this recipe because I wasn't sure I wanted to make that much at first and I don't think we would go through that much in a 2 months!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Carlie, we order real maple syrup from a guy in NY by the gallon and then put into jars and can it.we go through it in about a year or less(depending if we give some aways as presents):) Super yummy! -Jennie

    ReplyDelete