Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Butter Flaky Pie Crust

The pie crust recipe I usually use has shortening in it.  Well, I was just at the store and I forgot that I needed more shortening.  So I decided to look online to see if I could find a recipe using butter and I did!  I found this recipe on allrecipe.com.  That is my go-to recipe finding place.  This recipe sounds sooo yummy because....well you know butter is much much more yummy than shortening!  and I'd rather cook my pies in the morning, so this is perfect for me.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a flattened ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

So I have my water in the freezer getting really really cold.  Guess I should go put my flour in the freezer too.  I because I know the secret is having extremely cold ingredients.  I hope my pies turn out well!  Oh, I'm making an apple pie and a pumpkin pie.  I'll add those recipes if they're good later.

No comments:

Post a Comment