Thursday, October 28, 2010

Super Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookies, Buttercream Frosting & Sugar Gem Frosting

I made this recipe yesterday my church's youth group last night.  I found this on sisterscafe.blogspot.com.  Another recipe site that I love!  Everyone seemed to like them and they definitely were very soft!  I didn't make the buttercream frosting, but I used the sugar gem's icing from their site.

I did not put in the almond extract in the cookies because well....I didn't have any.  They tasted fine without it, but I think adding the almond favoring would make them more yummy!  Also, I found out if you want white icing and you want to use vanilla flavoring...don't use the brown vanilla extract....find the clear kind!  I wanted white icing, but it turned out light brown. So I added some food coloring to make it orange and that worked nicely!

Super Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookies:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups flour

Cream together softened butter with sugar, sour cream and eggs.  Add vanilla, almond extract, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.  Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time. Dough should be sticky.  Refrigerate one hour.  Knead dough on floured board.  Roll out and cut with cookie cutters.  Bake for 9 to 12 minutes at 350.  Frost with Buttercream Frosting.


Buttercream Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups butter


Sugar Gem Frosting
2-2 ½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup oil
2 tsp flavoring (almond, vanilla etc.)-sister's cafe prefers 1 tsp of almond
3-4 Tbsp milk
Coloring if wanted

Mix well and add a little more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment