Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tinted Sugar

I wanted colored sugar sprinkles for the sugar cookies last night.  However, I didn't want to spend the money on them, nor did I have time to go to the store.  I remembered seeing somewhere that you could color sugar with food coloring.  I looked up on the internet to make sure I did it right.  I found these instructions.  Very easy to do!

1. Place the granulated sugar that you need for your recipe into a Ziploc plastic bag.

2. Add a drop or 2 of dye to the bag. Let the color drip on the inside of the bag instead of directly onto the sugar. If using a thick-concentrated coloring, put some dye on a toothpick and wipe it onto the inside of the bag

3. Close the Ziploc bag. Shake and massage the bag with your fingers until the color is evenly distributed throughout the sugar and all the clumps are removed.

4. Add more color if the color isn't dark enough or add more sugar if it is too dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment